Important Points about HDI PCB Manufacturing, Production, and Usage
The High-Density Interconnect (HDI) PCB, or sometimes called the blind via PCB, is the printed circuit board type that uses the higher circuitry density, which gives a faster transmission and more efficiency for the board. Many companies use the HDI PCB to improve certain connections within the internal components in their device, and it also allows them to improve their device design into a more compact form factor.
HDI PCB uses the high-density circuitry that can deliver the best connection between each component on the board while improving its durability and reliability when compared to the traditional printed circuit board.
The Advantages of HDI PCB
When compared to the regular circuit boards, HDI PCB offers plenty of benefits that can help improve your device in various aspects. For instance, the multi-layered connections featured in this circuit board can provide you with a much more reliable connection for each component in your device internals. You can set the number of layers you would like to build on the HDI board along with the microvia types you would like to use. Here are the advantages of HDI PCB:
- Placing more components on the board. The HDI PCB makes it possible for the designers to place more components on the board in a smaller form factor. The reason is that the use of the layered connections on the HDI board can give more space on the surface of the board for more components. Thus, they can use the free space on the HDI PCB to add some extra features for their device.
- Design flexibility and freedom. The High-Density Interconnect circuit board allows you to get more creative in designing your device. You can move various components on the board closer together with no problems, and it means that it’s possible for you to use a more compact form factor for your device, thanks to the use of the HDI PCB.
- Improved signal quality and faster signal transmission. The stronger interconnection between components on the board makes the HDI PCB a good means to improve your signal quality. With a stronger signal quality, you can get a faster signal transmission, which is perfect for communication devices that use a consistent signal transmission to operate.
HDI PCB Manufacturing – What Makes a Good HDI PCB?
HDI PCB manufacturing has been around for many years. However, the quality of the High-Density Interconnect circuit boards will differ depending on various factors. Each PCB manufacturer will have their own ways of producing the high-quality HDI PCB units for their clients according to the client’s requirements. So, what will affect the quality of the HDI printed circuit boards? Here are some factors that will affect the quality of the HDI PCB manufacturing:
- The HDI PCB prototype design and quality check. First, the one important thing that will affect the quality of the HDI PCB manufacturing is the prototype design, which includes how components get placed together, the structure it uses, the features added into the board, and many other aspects. Then, the quality checking process will also affect the overall quality of the HDI PCB manufacturing, as it’s important for the manufacturer to ensure that the board passes the quality checking process before going into mass production.
- HDI structures and the via types. There are various types of HDI structures you can use, such as 1+N+1, 2+N+2, and 3+N+3, and there are also various types of vias you can use for each HDI circuit board. The combination between HDI structures and the via types, such as buried and blind via, used for each board will determine the quality of the board, along with the performance you can expect from it.
- Multi-layering and the material quality. You can manufacture HDI PCBs in multiple layers, and each board can go between 4-24 layers. The more layers it has, the better the HDI PCB quality will be. Also, the quality grade for each board material is important, as it will ensure that it meets with the standard quality for the board. A good HDI PCB material should meet the Standard IPC 2 quality grade.
Producing the Best HDI PCB for the Best Performance
Not all HDI printed circuit boards have the same performance characteristics. Depending on the structure, layering, and other aspects of the High-Density Interconnect board, the performance for the HDI PCB will vary from one board to another board. However, HDI PCB will always bring better performance than any regular circuit board, as it uses better interconnected circuitry, better materials, and better uses of vias. Here are some important aspects that can produce the best HDI PCB for the best performance:
- The board layout and material usage. The layout of the board can make or break the HDI board performance, as it will affect the component placement on the board and how they can connect with each other. Sometimes, a poor component placement can cause various issues within the board itself, which can break the overall performance of the HDI PCB. The material usage for the board will also affect the board’s performance further, as each material will have unique characteristics that can provide different performance for the board.
- Micro vias and impedance control. The micro vias you are using on the HDI board will also affect the board’s performance. It’s important for you to use the micro vias based on their requirements in terms of type and treatment, such as when you are using blind via or buried via. Each via has a certain tolerance, which you will need to follow to ensure the best performance for the HDI PCB. Also, it’s important for you to control the impedance of the board, as it will help prevent any issues during the operations of the HDI board.
- Overall production process. The overall production process will also affect the overall quality and performance of the HDI circuit board. The production process includes the lamination, drilling, and plating of the board. Also, the manufacturer needs to follow the careful production process according to the design requirements to come up with the HDI PCB that works best in its operations.
The Common Uses of the HDI Printed Circuit Board
HDI PCBs offer various improvements when compared to the regular printed circuit boards, which is the reason we are seeing the use of HDI PCBs even more often in newer electronic devices. The HDI board has been the primary board used in modern devices today, such as smartphone, tablet, touchscreen, laptop, PC, GPS system, and medical equipment. It also has various uses in the automobile and aerospace industries. Here are the common uses of the HDI printed circuit board:
- Consumer electronics. You can see the heavy applications of the HDI printed boards in various consumer electronics, such as smartphones and other touchscreen devices. Most primary boards in these consumer electronics use the HDI technology, meaning that they are using the High-Density Interconnect circuit board to connect all the components together and to deliver various features.
- Vehicle electrical systems. Vehicles also use the HDI boards in their electrical systems, such as GPS system, audio system, media and entertainment system, and various other electrical systems to bring various features to the end users. Similar electrical systems in the aircraft also use the HDI PCBs for the best operating performance.
- Medical devices. Most medical equipment that needs complex calculations and monitoring functions uses the HDI PCBs as their primary boards. These medical devices deliver various monitoring data for the patients, so that the healthcare professionals can analyze the data and deliver the best treatments for the patients.
Tips to Choose the Best HDI PCB Manufacturer
Among the various HDI PCB manufacturers you can find today, which one is the best for you to choose? Different manufacturers have different ways of working with their HDI PCB production. Thus, their HDI PCB quality and performance will differ, even when you use the same requirements and order the HDI PCBs from different manufacturers. Here are some tips to choose the best HDI PCB manufacturer:
- High production standards. You need to pick the HDI PCB manufacturer that has the high production standards, including in the material selection, prototyping, and the manufacturing process of the HDI boards. You also need to ensure that they have a good quality checking (QC) process to provide you with the HDI boards that meet with your requirements and quality standards.
- Easy online ordering system. It’s best for you to choose the HDI PCB manufacturer that provides an easy online ordering system. You can contact them online and discuss your requirements with them before placing your bulk HDI PCB order.
- High-quality materials at an affordable price. It’s also best to pick the manufacturer that offers high-quality materials for their HDI PCB production at an affordable price. Remember, manufacturing the HDI PCB could be very expensive because of its complex production steps. Thus, it’s best to go with the manufacturer that can offer high-quality materials with affordable costs for your HDI PCB production.
You have learned about the important points related to the HDI PCB manufacturing, production, and usage. Are you ready to order your HDI PCB? Hemeixin PCB provides the HDI PCB manufacturing services that allow you to build the best quality HDI printed circuit boards for your projects, whether for commercial or non-commercial use.
We can deliver the best quality HDI PCBs with our high standards of HDI PCB manufacturing process. You can contact us to discuss your requirements, and we will get back to you with the best offer for your HDI PCB production.